Thursday, April 8, 2010

...Speaking of Tina Fey and Steve Carrell's Date Night which I can't wait to go see...

Mark and I had a date night last weekend.  Mark treated me to a G. Love and Special Sauce concert at Antone's Nightclub, here in Austin.  Those three guys rock!  Great jams.  Fun lyrics.  Their music and performance explores our most base human behaviors with a genuinely loving and playful approach.  They are really, really great!

Why not enjoy being human and just have fun sometimes?  Are bouts of pleasure so awful we have to justify wanting them or feel the need to be discreet about having them?

Or are they awe-ful??  Perhaps bouts of pleasure revitalize us;  rebuild the trust we lose in humanity as result of daily wear and tear in our relationships at home and at work; and, reinvigorate our capacity to love one another?


...Just like Tina and Steve, our date night just had to go off-course.  But unlike Tina and Steve, our story is definitely not whole movie...

We arrived at Antone's as the opening band was starting to play.  Mark got us a couple beers and we easily approached the stage from the side...a great spot for when G. Love and Special Sauce take the stage!  We were thinking ahead, yes we were.  We nabbed a perfect audience location.  Wouldn't you know it just as the energy in the room shifted indicating G. Love was ready to take the stage, two young women with matching i-Phone protectors around their matching i-Phones pushed their way to stand right in front of us.

We thought ahead.  How dare these two...  F***ing txting, Twittering... Oh sh*t, I left my cell phone at home.  I  hope Mark has his if there's a kid emergency... F***ing Facebooking Barbie doll droids... Meeee-owww...

I glared.  One of them spoke:

"Excu-use me, this is a general admission concert... genera-al admissssssion...  That means we cut in front of you, and you push in front of us, and we climb over you, and those are the rules of general admission..."

By now my anger had passed and I felt amused.  I admit I also felt a little old, but in a pompous, looking down from a mountain top kind of way.

The young women txted other people who were presumably not present at the concert on their matching i-Phones.  It was obvious that when they were done they'd push to an even better spot like front and center.  They were young and beautiful and hungry.  I felt wise and beautiful and satisfied.  They would spend the night seeking attention and recognition.  I would rock out to some cool tunes and go home to make sweet love with my man.

I leaned forward and delivered a delayed response to the ear of the spokeswomen for the two:

"Thank you, honey, for letting me know the rules general admission.  I never quite heard them that way before.  I wish you only success in all your endeavors.  Go, young tigress, be yourself..."

She rolled her eyes at me.

I love being in my forties!  Life just keeps getting better and better and definitely abundantly more fun.  I think it's all really a matter of perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment