Wednesday, February 24, 2010


One of the many lessons I learned during two decades of rabbinic training and service was to value disciplined practice.  

Disciplined practices strengthen our resolve to make and keep commitments to others and to ourselves.  Our capacity to trust our colleagues and loved ones (and ourselves), can be nurtured or destroyed by our general experiences with commitment.  

A "fear of commitment" refers to someone's inability to trust others enough to withstand real intimacy, to love.  

I once attended a seminar with the Franklin Planner/Covey Leadership organization.  Steven Covey talked about a man he knew who had confided in him that he didn’t love his wife any longer.  Covey told him, “So then, go home and love her.”   

That simple little story blew my mind.

Love is a disciplined practice.

Every time my hunky and hilarious husband slurps or farts or burps or says something maybe he should have kept to himself…I make a conscious decision to love him.  I give him a kiss and tell him he's sexy.  

Love is a disciplined practice.

Have fun.  Life is short.

No comments:

Post a Comment