Wednesday, March 3, 2010


Some people seem to have a happier disposition than others.  While some portion of that is probably innate, I think a person can practice being happy! 

Happiness and joy seemed to be linked to gratitude and awe.  No matter what it is we want in life, it’s important to balance our desire for more with gratitude for we have already.  It is also important for us to take pause and acknowledge what goes right for us seemingly without effort and what is beautiful before we’ve begun to tamper with it.

I literally began my “happy” practice by stopping to smell the roses.  One day the adage “stop to smell the roses” just popped into my head as I walked past a yard bordered on all sides with stunning rose bushes chock full of heavy blooms.  I stopped and smelled them.  Each color rose had its own subtly unique fragrance.   I caught myself having fun appreciating the subtle aromatic differences among dusty purple, deep red, and brilliant orange roses.  I rarely pass a rose bush now without stopping to smell its flowers.  One of my daughters and one of my nephews now join me when the occasion presents itself. 

Slowing down and paying attention to all the beauty and kindness around us that we too easily take for granted is a very effective way to begin to practice experiencing joy.   Once we recognize what happiness feels like in such a moment we begin to recognize it other times as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment