Friday, March 5, 2010


I know it sounds crazy, but a number of years ago I decided to consciously practice loving others.  I literally slowed down my pace and began looking at other people and listening to them.  I practiced on my family members, colleagues, clerks in stores, whomever sat close to me on the bus, and passers-by on the street.  The funny thing is that it worked!  I began “feeling” more love for humanity.

I learned that love has something to do with accepting others as they present themselves rather than secretly judging them for not being more like I want them to be.  A sense of humor helps a lot!

I remember learning in a high school psychology course that a pristine form of love, unconditional love, was not only possible but also favorable in relationships.  At the time I thought unconditional love was merely a form of loyalty.  The problem was that being on the receiving end of a commitment or promise, kept simply because it was made, doesn’t feel very loving.

Unconditional love means to love without expecting anything in return.  Generating the love is not particularly difficult.  The challenge is to share the love without keeping score or secretly waiting for the gesture to be recognized, requited, and rewarded.  

No comments:

Post a Comment